Chichester

Former Royal West Sussex Hospital, Chichester
Former Royal West Sussex Hospital, Chichester
Trevor Roman ©

The Royal West Sussex Hospital was opened in 1826, although a public dispensary had been established in some cottages on the site of the hospital in 1784.

When Chichester Infirmary (its original name) was built, a wisteria was planted in front of the hospital. The wisteria (seen here in bloom in late April) flourished and this plant, received from China by the hospital's first matron, Mrs. Rogers, is claimed to be the oldest specimen of its kind in England.

When the hospital closed in 1972, the main building, complete with wisteria was retained as part of a new housing development.

Updated: Saturday 27 May 2017
Sussex photos at Sussex Gallery
© Trevor Roman 2005-2017